Sunday 18 April 2021

Food blogger says changing your diet can change your health

From thetelegraphandargus.co.uk
By Chandra Patel

HAVING experienced 10 years of going through the various stages of the menopause I can tell you that, for some people, it’s a constant trauma. 

Today, in my mid-fifties, I wish I had known more about this epic misadventure in advance and been able to prepare better for it, hence writing this article.  

If you have been through the experience of menopause without any symptoms, I am envious of you, but for many women there are and will be many challenges. So how can diet help the other things which you may be opting to do? 


The topic of HRT (Hormone Replacement Therapy) is one for you and your doctor to discuss.  I chose not to have any hormone replacements due to the fact my mother had breast cancer, which apparently can be a side effect of the treatment, but tried to focus on improving my all-round health so as to better cope with the symptoms I was experiencing. 

It is a massive topic which affects different women in radically different ways, so let’s talk about just a couple of the main symptoms and what can diet do to try and mitigate them: 

Insomnia was an almost nightly problem for me, beginning at roughly midnight to 6am, so I was regularly starting the day feeling already tired. I can’t really explain it, conscious sleep.

To try and counteract this I would start my mornings with a great big glass of a slow-release energy smoothie, topping it sometimes lavishly with slow releasing energy fruit and nuts.

Working towards not going to bed feeling too full or restless, I’d try and plan the right sort of evening meal. I tried to avoid a night-time tipple, instead a warm milk or cocoa, protein-based foods, which in my case oily fishes and pulses, ensuring I had a good intake of natural vitamins. 

Ensuring that your vitamin intake is healthily balanced is important - again you should take proper advice and do consider things like energy supplements to aid your exercise regime as you need to strengthen bones and maintain a good level of fitness to cope better. 

Probably due to insomnia, fatigue was another spin off which affected me, so I focussed on the healthiest food and making sure I got plenty of outdoor exercise, having recently been introduced to the Instagram and YouTuber Jump Rope Coach @rush_athletics it changed my mindset which led me to focus more mentally.  

I found that some of the best foods to combat fatigue were importantly a solid water intake, bananas, chia seeds, oats, nuts and whole grains, no skipping meals!

Ensuring that your vitamin intake is healthily balanced is important - again you should take proper advice and do consider things like energy supplements to aid your exercise regime as you need to strengthen bones and maintain a good level of fitness to cope better. 

Some things you just have to be creative with - I wish I had invented a duvet with a foot cooling system and, if I can crack the design, I’m sure there is a big market for it!  

Here’s my recipe for a delicious smoothie which contains some of the ingredients I have mentioned above.

It’s quick and easy to make, and serves one. The preparation and cooking is between one to three minutes.

Recipe and Method:

* One medium ripe banana

* Unsweetened almond milk, three quarters of a glass

* Oats, one handful

* Chia seeds, 1 teaspoon pre-soaked

* Blitz in a smoothie make, stir in chia seeds

TIP - never throw away over ripe bananas, mash them up and freeze for a smoothie day

* For more of Chandra’s recipes go to Instagram @leedshomecook

https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/19239088.food-blogger-says-changing-diet-can-change-health/



No comments:

Post a Comment