Sunday, 9 August 2026

What Is CBT-I? The Gold Standard Insomnia Treatment Doctors Recommend Before Sleep Medication

From amp.miamiherald.com

If you have ever spent hours staring at the ceiling wondering why sleep will not come, CBT-I may be the answer sleep specialists wish more people knew about. Short for cognitive behavioural therapy for insomnia, it is the first-line treatment for chronic sleep problems and increasingly the go-to method for millennials and Gen Z who are tired of relying on pills, gummies and wearables that never quite deliver on their promises.

Interest has surged thanks to books like Matt Walker’s “Why We Sleep,” the health-tracking boom and a growing awareness that sleep medications treat symptoms rather than causes. The American Academy of Sleep Medicine and the American College of Physicians both recommend CBT-I over pharmaceuticals for chronic insomnia, and the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs calls it the gold standard for sleep disorder treatment.

           CBT-I is the gold standard for insomnia treatment.

How CBT-I works

According to Stanford Medicine, CBT-I guides patients through a series of changes in sleep-related behaviours. It targets three factors that keep insomnia going. Those factors are conditioned arousal, ineffective habits people develop to try to sleep better and the sleep-related worry that builds up around bedtime itself.

The therapy has five components, which are sleep hygiene, relaxation and stress reduction, stimulus control therapy, sleep restriction and cognitive therapy. It was formally developed at the end of the 20th century, and in 2016 the American College of Physicians recommended it as the initial treatment for chronic insomnia in adults.

Dr. Meredith Broderick, a neurologist and board-certified sleep and behavioural sleep medicine specialist, told SELF that CBT-I addresses the unproductive behaviours people develop over time to cope with insomnia. That includes spending too long in bed, avoiding activities out of fear of not sleeping and resting excessively during the day.

Why it works better than most sleep medication

“It’s so successful because it’s considered to be a behavioral intervention,” Dr. Amoha Bajaj, a clinical and health psychologist, told SELF.

Rather than adding another product or ritual to a bedtime routine, CBT-I rewires how you think and feel about sleep. The tradeoff is effort. “CBT-I works. It’s one of the most studied, one of the most effective treatments in all of medicine, but I can’t do it for you. You have to do it,” Broderick told SELF.

The numbers make the case. According to Psychiatric Times, 70% to 80% of people who complete a course of CBT-I achieve a therapeutic response, and roughly 40% reach clinical remission. A course typically runs six to eight weekly sessions with no prolonged maintenance required. Meta-analytic data shows clinically significant effects at one year, and follow-up from a randomized controlled trial found persisting benefits after 10 years.

Research also links CBT-I to better mental health. In one study of patients with both depression and insomnia, people who received CBT-I saw as much improvement in their depression symptoms as those who received depression treatment directly.

CBT-I practices you can try tonight

You do not need to enroll in a formal program to borrow from the toolkit. A few of the most effective habits are worth trying on their own.

  • Wake up at the same time every day. Consistency anchors the circadian rhythm and is essentially non-negotiable.
  • Focus on a wind-down time rather than a bedtime. Do not force yourself into bed when you are not sleepy. Wind down earlier and let sleep come naturally.
  • Schedule “worry time.” If anxious thoughts flood in at night, put dedicated time on your calendar during daylight hours to process them, when your brain has more capacity to handle stress.
  • Be careful with sleep trackers. The rise of wearables has produced a new problem called orthosomnia, in which anxiety over achieving perfect sleep data actually creates insomnia.

Broderick also notes that many people seeking out CBT-I do not actually meet the clinical definition of chronic insomnia, which is difficulty falling or staying asleep at least three days a week for more than three months. For those who do qualify and commit to the full protocol, the payoff can outlast a lifetime of prescriptions.

This article was created by content specialists using various tools, including AI.

https://amp.miamiherald.com/living/article316775065.html 

No comments:

Post a Comment